Friday, May 04, 2007

Taking a deep, cleansing breath

Yeah, I'm still here and still pregnant. Not that I'm late or anything. Today is 38 weeks and 6 days for me. I'm feeling pretty good, and it's a good thing this baby didn't come early because the bedroom "remodel" became quite the fiasco and lasted much longer than expected. My poor husband was fighting a cold last week and just didn't have it in him to tackle the room like planned. And then, he ended up having to work overtime all weekend long. So we spent a little over a week sleeping in our living room. We eventually brought our mattress in there because, while I still enjoyed sleeping on the couch, I didn't love sleeping in close proximity to my dear ones. I let them have the mattress.

So with my house a disaster, I started having lots of contractions. I never felt that I was in labor, but I certainly felt like I was close. It was so weird to not have anything set up for the baby. So I pretty much spent most of the week praying, and trying not to be a total jerk to Jason. It wasn't his fault nothing was done, but there was no one else around to be ticked off at. One evening last week, I had this horrible pain in my lower abdomen. I tried to tough it out but became worried because I had no idea what it was. I made the mistake of going on WebMD in the middle of the night and scared myself silly into thinking I had appendicitis. At midnight I woke up Jason crying and said I needed to call the hospital. I really did not want to go and cried the whole way there telling Jason they were going to cut the baby out of me. I went in and they monitored me all night. Baby was fine but no one knew what the mystery pain was. They said it probably wasn't my appendix about to burst because it is displaced in pregnancy and it wouldn't be where I was feeling it (my right, lower abdomen). After a whole night of hospital fun, they sent me home and told me it was probably ligament pain. They were right. As I rested at home the next day, I was starting to feel better. And then I cleaned our house a little, and tried to put away the hide-a-bed, when I got that pain right back. So the next day, since Jason was working, I went to my parent's house to lay on their couch all day hogging the cable tv (it was a real treat since we just have rabbit ears for our tv) while they entertained Hannah. That really helped.

The next day after church, some girls at church gave me a baby shower. It was really nice and it was fun to have my family meet some of our new church friends, and vice versa. I got a ton of boy clothes, which I really needed, so it was a huge blessing.

The stress levels were completely lowered this week when Jason was able to finish our bedroom, and we got everything back in it's place. After a quick trip to Ikea, Jason spent all of Wednesday putting stuff together. I told him one of the main reasons I married him is his ability to put together Ikea furniture faster than any one I've ever met, and without the slightest hint of frustration, or dropping F-bombs. He's my hero. So here is a partial view of our bedroom with our awesome new Ikea closet and bed. The wardrobe has all of our clothes, and we don't need any more furniture for them, leaving room for the crib. I am very pleased.

As if this week could get any better, we also got Hannah her big girl bed. Yeah, it's from Ikea too. But we got the cute bedding from Target (there was a "sale"). If you've read my blog at all in the past, you know that my daughter is not a great sleeper, and that she has been sleeping in her crib mattress right next to our bed for the last year, and almost always got back in to bed with us at some time in the night. You also know that she is a pain to get to go to bed before we do. But the last two nights (and I'm almost scared to type this because I'm worried I'll jinx our good fortune) she has gone right to bed by herself and stayed there all night. I just read her a story, tuck her in with her bears and her book, and give her a little back rub. The Lord really has my back right now. Thank you, Jesus.

So now we can just wait peacefully for the boy to come. I'm not scared. I'm ready. And we have plenty of storage for all of his stuff.


Blogger Bluecanopy said...

Your bedroom looks great! How nice to have everything in place...

Hannah must feel like such the big girl. It seems like she was ready for the change since she's been so cooperative. What a good girl, and she looks so happy in it.

How scary about that pain. The unknown is always harder to deal with...glad you figured it out. Now no more lifting things like hide-a-beds!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a week, but it was worth it because your room looks great!

Sorry about that ligament pain. My little girl did that to me this time and I seriously considered going to the hospital. At first I thought it was Braxton Hicks, but it hurt way too much for that. Luckily I had a doctor's appointment the next day and he straightened me out. Pregnancy can be confusing! Well... maybe you only have a week or so left. Can you believe that? I remember when we were first emailing and sharing that we had just found out we were pregnant :) Well, I still have 12 weeks; unless this kid comes early or is induced early (like my son). I can't wait to see photos of your little guy!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Lauren S. said...

Thanks! It is very nice to have everything in it's spot.

Michelle - you should have seen my room before. It was so ugly. U-G-L-Y!!!


11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home