Saturday, March 29, 2008

Oh, Lent. You got to me.

You got to me.

Everything was going so well.

Until Thursday. I felt spaced out. And I didn't even think it was the fasting. I went on a walk with my buddy Jamie and our kiddos and I kept saying, "I feel really weird and out of it. I can't figure it out. What's wrong with me? It's like I didn't have any coffee, but I did have some."

The next morning Jamie called me, and was all, "Um, I read your blog, and about your staples, and I think you need some protein." I thought about it and yeah. Yeah! She was right. Protein! I can handle some bad air. "Mas frijoles, por favor!"

But I hadn't gone shopping yet. And I planned on having beans that day but it just didn't work out and I ended up having spaghetti and meatless meatballs, which, I think are supposed to have some protein.

Either way, I was in a complete mental funk all day today. And in that grouchy, odd state, while I snapped at my loved-ones, I remembered our priest telling us that by mid lent, we tend to realize how crummy we are. That we aren't good at fasting at all. It's amazing how you take a way some protein, and our true colors are revealed. And on the Sunday of mid lent comes the Veneration of the Cross. It is so appropriate. We must go to the foot of the cross to realize that all of our efforts are for nothing without the precious Cross. Christ is our sustenance. We most certainly do not live on bread alone. Or textured vegetable protein. Or beans.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Mark 8:34-9:1 (Sunday's Gospel Reading)
34When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
35For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it.
36For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
37Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
38For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.
1And He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that there are some standing here who will not taste death till they see the kingdom of God present with power."

6 Comments:

Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

if you soak the beans overnight in some water and some lime/lemon juice, it should help with some of those "enzyme" issues :)

Great post, though. It's all so true. You put it so very well. We are nothing without Christ.

I can't believe it's already half-way through Lent?!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Beans... very important. I like lentils because you don't have to soak them.

Hummus also has great protein. And it is very easy to make homemade. I should post a hummus recipe (not right now, though, because our computer is having issues)

4:55 PM  
Blogger jenny baker said...

yes, i make it an effort to take multi-vitamins and extra calcium tablets so i don't turn into a hulk-like mental state. plus? extra water is always helpful.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

so i posted my hummus recipe on my blog. it is very easy to make:) and very easy to double (which i do a lot)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Lauren S. said...

xk - how much lemon juice? just a squeeze?

christina - sounds good, i'll check it out.

jenny - very hard to believe you being in a hulk-like mental state. :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger jenny baker said...

lauren - that's because i take my vitamins. (ah ha!)

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home