Sunday, November 18, 2007

Serenity Now!

Today at church the kiddo's were both actually good and I was able to hear Fr. Josiah's entire homily. It was about anxiety and fear. It was great, and I am way too lame to even begin to paraphrase it, but what stuck out to me was his commentary on our society on how we are so medicated. We are a terribly anxious, worried, and overwhelmed people, aren't we? The saints teach us how to live at peace despite losing "everything" here on earth. They are martyred into paradise, while so many humans may have more luxuries than one can think of, but may parish eternally. I get so wrapped up in my tiny little wants, but is any of it eternal? How do I fix my eyes on Christ alone? This desire for stuff creates anxiety...Will I be able to afford this or that? Will I ever get a new car? Will we every have a bigger house? Stressful stuff. Probably stressful enough for some to go on all kinds of pills. I'm not a pill popper myself (although to be fair, I've had a pretty stable, happy life thus far)but I could understand why some are. I think we are meant to feel our feelings and over come them. How can we conquer our fears if we numb them? What a sadness. Our society teaches us that numb is good. Don't want to feel the pain of child labor? We have drugs for that. Never mind that it can rob you of one of the most incredible, victorious moments of your life. Maybe it's weird of me to link the whole birth issue to to this, but it seems fitting. If we are Christians, we are to have joy in suffering, to be serene when everything is crappy. I wish I didn't suck at this. I'm such a complainer. Chief Complainer Lauren S. is done complaining now. Have a blessed and serene Sunday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Good post!!

Have you seen this?
http://www.miniature-earth.com/me_english.htm

Someone sent it to me and it was very humbling.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

A blessed Monday to you! Isn't it awesome when the kids cooperate and you are able to hear the homily?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Michael Baker said...

You know what's really sad? I get distracted during the homily, and I don't even HAVE kids. That was a definitely a good one, so I'm glad you were able to hear it.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home