Monday, August 30, 2010

Pacing Ourselves

Phillip at the park.


First grade has begun with a bang. It feels like so much to cover and it's such a challenge to juggle the toddlers with meaningful instruction for the first grader. James is getting jealous of all the time I'm spending on Hannah, and Phillip tries to steal markers and colors on the walls and I barely even notice. Thank God for Magic Erasers. It's fun though too. Our lessons are enjoyable and we go at our own pace. Math is fun, and I'm really hoping it stays that way. I always had allergies to math as a kid so I'm delighted Hannah finds her lessons enjoyable yet challenging. We've begun Pollyanna which I'm reading more than her. She'll read for a little while and then request that I take over so I do. She loves the story and I like that she's trying to read it even though it's a stretch for her. I'm also feeling like a much more productive person in general and less likely to resort to time-wasting.




A few of our favorite homeschooling things so far are:

Magic Tree House Books

Park Days!! We have two a week now! This is key because my boys need to run and my girl needs to play with friends!

Charter School Classes. MMMMHHHM.

Story of the World activites. The easy ones that you tear out of the work book to be specific.

Copywork paper with a blank spot on the top of the page for illustrations.

Draw Write Now

Colorful math blocks for making number stories.

Spanish!!! S-O-C-K-S!






And a few of my not so fave things:


Antics of jealous younger siblings


Less house cleaning time which is only exacerbated by the younger sibling messiness.


Not being able to find certain recommended books


Crafts. I really kind of hate crafts. It's the gathering of all the supplies that gets me. And the increase of mess. I'll get over it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle M. said...

I'm a little nervous about keeping the other two occupied when I'm schooling the oldest. I hope it goes well. I have a room set aside for learning with some educational toys for the little ones.
As for crafts, I LOVE them. So drop me an email if you ever need anything ideas :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Lauren S. said...

i wish i loved crafts!! :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

Crafting IS messy, but it does get easier when the kids get older and when you have a good stock of supplies, because then you can just say "Hannah, get your craft box! We're going to make an XYZ!" and won't have to go to Michael's and spend $20 for each project.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

You know me, I'm not a craft person either. I know they sell kits that have a craft with all of the pieces for each day of the month, but I've heard its expensive. Perhaps that is something you could purchase through the charter school? That is the thing that gets me with crafts...assembling all of those pieces. I was thinking Frannie might enjoy a sewing kit like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-First-Sewing-Kit/dp/B000F3V2MW
Maybe Hannah would like something like this??

11:49 PM  
Blogger Bluecanopy said...

Markers on the wall....been there. WAIT. Am there. Only it was my sister's duvet cover. Ugh. Glad to hear I'm not alone. We're starting next week and I'm having a hard time envisioning our days with J and B doing "school". We'll see I guess.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

Oh, that sounds so great! Nice work, Lauren. You're off to a beautiful start. Have a wonderful school year!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home